Wednesday, September 24, 2008

never ending job

Even when I am at home with my family, have been off work for over a week, being a nurse doesn't end when I leave work.
Case in point... I have sick children. yes, CHILDREN.

As I lay on the couch comfortting one of the twins that is sick with a sore throat and stuffy nose... I hear from the bathroom....
S: MOOOOOMMM! (crying)

Me: whaat? (as I am tired from being up late and woke up early)

S: I neeeeed you! Please come quick! (still crying)

Me: ok, ok... just a second. (I manage to move ever so carefully from under the sleeping baby so not to wake her and then I wouldn't be helping anyone)

I make it into the bathroom to find Sammy on the potty. Sammy is crying. unconsolably crying. I grab the footstool and take a seat.

Me: what is wrong? (as I rub his back and try to be comfortting)

S: I peed! (still crying so much I can't understand the rest of what he is trying to say)

Me: ok.... (inspecting the floor for pee... ) I can't understand what you are telling me. tell me again.

S: I peed out my butt! (just sobbing and sobbing, tears not only streaming from his eyes, but rolling down his naked legs)

Me: Oh, I see... Ok... that is ok... it is called DIARRHEA.


Poor Sammy. To give you a little history on Sammy, he is 7... going on 47. He is a germ-a-phobe, doesn't like to get dirty, potty trained very early and very easily b/c of his desire to be clean. Not that he doesn't ever get dirty, he just prefers not to. He has had diarrhea before, apparently not as bad as it was today. After much reassurance that everyone has had diarrhea that is like pee coming out of your butt... he managed to calm down, wipe, wash hands and come back to lay on the other couch.

I am really hoping tomorrow brings about a better day... with fewer sickies!

1 comment:

cat said...

Oh mom! Poor kiddo. It is so sweet.